Pages

Friday, February 12, 2021

Golden Mourning

 

Golden Mourning was created as part of a Writing Workshop in Second Life.
The prompt was this picture from Debra Kelly Makeup Pinterest page.

Golden Mourning
by Stephanie Mesler

The sun invades too early, changing sterile white to blinding gold.
My own pale hands, yellowed in this light --
The spot next to me vacant a year to the day,
loss ferments in my gut, so much virulent anguish.
How to commemorate the day that dares to start with saffron glory
when it should have been the day the world ends?
I have prepared to face this day assuming it would rain,
that the sky would be black with clouds and the streets filled with dirty water.  
But here I stand, looking out the window toward the hill where you are buried,  
naked except for this unnatural auric glaze.

© 2021 Stephanie Mesler

1 comment:

Red Woman

Red Woman By Stephanie Mesler I see you, a dismal speck of grey, washed over with the red that is myself.   You are withered and infinitesim...